- Split Black Gram or Chana Dal – 300 gms.
- Basa Fish Fillet – 250 gms.(4 pieces,approximately).
- Salt – According to taste.
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp.
- Ginger -Garlic Paste – 1 tsp.
- Tomato Puree – 2 tbsp.
- Cumin or Jeera Powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander Powder or Dhania Powder – 1 tsp.
- Cumin – 1tsp.
- Bay Leaf -2.
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp.
- Vegetable Oil – for shallow frying.
Step 1 – Wash and cut the fish in large pieces.Rub salt,turmeric powder,red chilly powder and some garlic onto them.
Step 2 – Shallow fry the fish in a non-stick pan and keep aside.Pressure cook the split black gram or chana dal till soft and done.
Step 3 – Take a pan and some vegetable oil,then splutter a pinch of cumin and two bay leaves in it.Now add the finely chopped onions along with ginger-garlic paste in it.Fry it for five minutes.Now add salt,turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder,cumin powder and fry.Now add tomato puree,garam masala and fry again.When the masalas seem to be cooked add the boiled chana dal and some water to make a thick gravy.Let it come to a boil.Now mix the fish and let it simmer for two minutes.Garnish with coriander.
Our chana dal with shallow fried fish is ready.Serve it with tandoori rotis,tortillas,fried rice and the like.
Friends do try the recipe at home.Share your comments and feedback.Have a great week everyone.Till then healthy cooking,happy living!!!